The Devlan Mud of Drybrushing?


Following on from my last post I am getting on with constructing my 15mm Second World War force. For the first time ever rather than plunging straight in with sprays and Army Painter dips I’ve been trawling the likes of Youtube for new and interesting painting techniques. Obviously servitob style rapid speed painting is still the order of the day but I’m always willing to integrate new ideas. The Tamiya Weathering Master was one product which I liked the look of. So far I’m really impressed. It’s a powdery type material that comes with it’s own applicator which you use to dust the stuff on. It works like a really simple and effective drybrush technique without all that brush wiping hassle.

Another technique I have been trying is the use of window cleaner in ink washes. I’ve been using vallejo umber shade wash and diluting it with window cleaner to various ratios. So far I’ve found that for vehicles a mix of about 1:1 wash to window cleaner is about right. The science behind this is that the detergent in the window cleaner lowers the surface tension in the water based ink allowing it to flow better. I once added some washing up liquid to a waterslide at a kid’s birthday party to obtain this effect. The kids were loving it as they approached warp speed much to the horror of the mums present. Geek dad is awesome! The water molecules in the ink bunch up a lot less easily and so will tend to slide off flat surfaces and into recesses. This is important on large flat vehicle surfaces. Window cleaner makes a good detergent because it is transparent. Washing up liquid would also work but the artificial colouration might add an extra sheen to your model.

So I’ve finished my first two test models using these new found techniques. They are by The Plastic Soldier Company, including decals. They are in the photo at the top of this post, see what you think!

Advertisements