ZombiePirate XXX Does Cleaning and Some Converting


It may very well still be Winter but here in the wing of the floating citadel occupied by my wife and I, we have been doing some spring cleaning. By cleaning I of course mean, “chuck all our crap on the floor and then move it somewhere else.”

What this really means is that the room we have been using for a study we have been clearing and converting ready to throw in some furniture for an impending new arrival. Thusly, what has been the spare bedroom is slowly progressing into becoming the study. The whole process took a couple of days to sort out until the computer desks were in place but things went pretty smoothly and we have the good fortune of being assisted by helpful family members.

I therefore took this opportunity to do the typical blokey “swipe arm across desk and let everything fall in the bin” approach to tidying and was left with a clear computer desk for the first time in around 5 years. This was swiftly replaced by getting my toy soldiers out! I’m trying to make sure that my Persian horde of metal and plastic is kept secure and safe and the desk surface is then free for paints and tool and whatever it is that I am working on at the moment. As this is the case currently I thought I’d throw up some teasers with what I am currently working on.

The Dark Eldar release at the tail end of last year disgorged a veritable treasure trove or gaming gold. I picked up quite a few boxes and blisters to start off the army that I’d wanted over a decade ago. In the Codex there are some pretty decent examples of how you can use the plastic kits in conjuncture with the metals to create unique models. I often look through miniatures galleries and marvel at the awesomeness of some of the conversions you see on display. There are really some talented people out there. This inspires me to try some stuff of my own, after almost 20 years in the hobby I hope to have picked up some skillz. Therefore I took my Archon (who came with a miscast Husk Blade) and added a few bits here and there to make him a little more unique so that he fits in with my army and the wargear I’ve given him. You can see him in the picture below;

I think he’s looking pretty decent and now just needs an undercoat before I can get on with painting him. I think I’m going to be going with the Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue from the Codex rather than the default Kabal of the Black Heart.

Not only did I give the Archon model the once over but also had a go with the incredible Lelith Hesperax model. In the blister she comes with options for two knives or an Impaler for her left arm. I eschewed both of these in favour of an Agoniser from the Warriors sprue. This took a small bit of remodelling of the plastic part of the arm for it to match the joint at the right place but I personally think it has come out really well. The true test will come when it is basecoated and painted though. The model is full of dynamism and movement as it is and I didn’t want to lose that as I made a substantial weapons change. Overall I am very happy with the result. Take a look for yourselves;

Advertisements